WHAT DOES YOUR UNION DO FOR YOU?
|● Support and protection of your professional rights (teachers, educator specialists and IAs) as a Watertown Employee, both through collective bargaining and on an individual, as-needed basis.
● Salary and benefits negotiation
● Access to MTA legal services as needed
● Insurance: Home, auto, life etc.
● Discounts on goods and services
● Weingarten Rights: Your right to have representation in any meeting with Administration
● Through MTA: affordable PD, scholarships for teachers, classroom grants, and the annual banquet and recognition of colleagues
● MTA Benefits Discounts: Take advantage of more than 350,000 discounts nationwide, including 250,000 mobile offers with Access.
|●The WEA is made up of a President, an Executive Board, and a group of dedicated building-based representatives who are there to help you with workplace questions and concerns.
● Building Representatives & PR&R Representatives
● MTA and NEA: The statewide and national structures have dedicated staff to help represent your concerns in workplace issues. They also advocate for you on a variety of legislative issues.
● Ongoing PD opportunities–MTA Summer Conference
● Certification and Licensure assistance
● Informational building and district meetings
● STUDENT SCHOLARSHIPS: We continue to work to provide student scholarships to our member’s children and WPS students for higher education.
●CONTRACT NEGOTIATIONS: Successfully negotiated 3-year successor contracts for all 3 units in the Watertown Educators Association.
●PARENTAL LEAVE: We successfully negotiated 12 weeks parental leave for all units: 4 weeks are paid without using any sick time.
● TEACHER EVALUATIONS: Successfully negotiated improved language for our educator evaluation instrument.
COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT: We provided $1000 in grocery store gift cards to WPS families in need.
● MEMBERSHIP INVOLVEMENT AND ACTIVISM: Together, we have worked to pass the Fair Share Amendment winning 2 billion in funding for public schools and transportation.
| ●Working together with regional bargaining council to share resources and combine efforts for bargaining.
● Building stronger bonds. We will work to develop an even closer membership connection so that each and every one of our members feels that they are connected to a strong, informed, influential and effective union.
●To continue to improve communication through newsletters, social media, face to face conversations, and our WEA Website.
●To complete our bylaw review process and take a member vote to adopt any possible changes to the bylaws.